zondag 19 januari 2014

Katie 250 - 252





Girls and young ladies in glasses of minus seven often complain that they are legally blind and that their glasses are quite thick.
My life partner Nel wears glasses of minus twelve with confidence but on one occasion, one of her daughters said, "Nobody has glasses as strong as yours". Nel reacted exactly as shown by Katie (bottom to top): turning her face away, eyes half closed in embarrassment, then looking straight in the eyes of the person who addressed her.
I jumped in, telling the daughter in question that her mother's myopia was high but by no means extreme. What I did not say was that I had seen Nel's reaction several times in my childhood when there were no contact lenses, let alone laser surgery.
Being a curious child, anyone in the street who looked different caught my attention and people in myodisc glasses were among the categories. Men in myodisc glasses were stoic but girls and women in myodisc glasses were shy, at least during the few seconds when they realized someone was watching them. As soon as this became clear to me, I avoided long eye contact with girls or women in myodisc glasses.
The first time I saw a lady in Lentilux glasses, things were entirely different. The lady in question did not look handicapped at all. She was very lively and I felt at ease when watching her. I knew there was something special about her glasses. The lenses kept changing aspect with every subtle movement of her head. This was in the late 1980's, in Austria. About ten years later I came across the first pair of Lentilux glasses in a charity shop. After inspecting the intricate lenses, I realized that this was the lens type seen in Austria.
Blended myodisc glasses were always white ravens in the streets and now almost completely extinct.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten