dinsdag 8 maart 2016

Anna 026



These ladylike French glasses have been in my collection for over three decades. They were a most welcome find at the inexhaustible "Waterlooplein" flea market in my native Amsterdam. The glasses are very characteristic for the larger frame style that started appearing right after the love summer of 1967. A class mate of mine at school had glasses almost identical to the pair shown here by Anna. The girl in question often exclaimed "Oh, I hate these glasses but I can't function without them!". Her prescription was about minus three which is generally accepted as the point when full time wear becomes a necessity. However, she refused to give in, producing her glasses only when it was an absolute necessity to see the blackboard. She left school soon afterwards and I never saw her again. No doubt, she switched to contact lenses soon afterwards. Contact lenses became widely available in 1968 and although I understood the motives of the girls who ditched their glasses, it somehow felt like a loss. The icing on the cake had disappeared. Fifteen years later, I came across these French glasses at the flea market and my first thought was if by any chance these were the glasses used but hated by my former classmate. Sweet memories....  

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten